How to stay safe
If you're using gas appliances in the home it's important to make sure you're using them safely. Even if you're renting, you should still be vigilant and make sure that you're safe. Here are a few things you should remember:
Using gas appliances...
- If you think there's something wrong with any of your appliances, stop using them straight away - don't risk it!
- Rooms with gas appliances should be well ventilated, so make sure that flues and grilles are always clear.
- Get all your gas appliances serviced once a year by an engineer who's on the Gas Safe Register - they have to be on the register, by law, to work on gas installations.
- It's a very dangerous gas that can be produced by faulty gas appliances or in rooms that aren't properly ventilated.
- Carbon monoxide detectors can save lives - make sure you've got one in your home.
- Remember, detectors are only a guide. You still need to make sure your gas appliances are properly maintained and your rooms are properly ventilated.
- Gas flames should be blue. If the flame burns yellow or orange it may produce carbon monoxide.
- Beware of headaches, drowsiness, sickness, giddiness or stomach pains - they can all be symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you think there's a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home...
Phone the National Gas Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.